Launched in 2013 by Bondi-based mother of 3, Belinda Everingham, BONDI WASH was inspired by the novel 'Perfume' by Patrick Susskind, which is all about the evocative power of scent. Reading the novel while on holidays in Far North Queensland, and surrounded by unusual native flora, Belinda wondered whether Australia could create beautiful fragrances and products from native botanicals, just like the French have been doing for centuries.
The range was developed over 18 months, drawing on expertise from chemists and using the latest technology in natural ingredients. BONDI WASH combines the amazing power and fragrance of unique Australian botanicals with a luxurious mix of other essential oils and natural ingredients to bring a new range of truly distinctive products that are good for the planet and your home.
All BONDI WASH products are plant-based. Nothing nasty. Products are non-toxic, bio-degradable and contain ingredients sourced from the best Australian suppliers.
BONDI WASH products use Australian bush oils that have interesting fragrances – not your standard eucalyptus or tea tree - which combine beautifully with other oils to create uplifting scents that make washing a delight. These bush oils have amazing properties and have all been independently tested for their anti-bacterial properties.
BONDI WASH products also contain ACTIVE Australian ingredients, like Wattleseed oil, Lilly Pilly extract and Banksia seed oil. These active ingredients are all 100% plant-derived and bring unique and powerful properties to that have only recently been researched and discovered.
The Dog collection is scented with their signature Paperbark and Lemongrass fragrance.
Paperbark is a gentle but powerful oil, which will remove germs and repel insects, while calming and relaxing. Combined with other oils including lemongrass, rosemary and lavender, this formulation is specially designed to suit a dog’s sensitive skin.
BONDI WASH products contain only the finest natural ingredients:
- Australian bush oils like Tasmanian native pepper, Sydney peppermint, Lemon tea tree oil - all independently tested for their anti-bacterial properties
- Natural fragrances - all BONDI WASH scents are 100% pure essential oils sourced from quality suppliers
- Soap bases sourced 100% from plants which are gentle and non-toxic (derived from sugar and corn, both renewable)
- Luxurious additions to improve texture and effectiveness including sunflower seeds and aloe vera
- Natural thickeners
- Minimal preservatives - and only non-paraben ones
BONDI WASH products do not contain any:
- Synthetic colours or scents
- Petroleum-based ingredients
- Nitrates, ammonia, chlorine, sulphates
- Sodium Lauryl Sulphate and Sodium Laureth Sulphate. SLS, SLES are known irritants
- Sodium Coco Sulphate. Often used in 'natural' products to replace SLS but very similar to SLS (just slightly less processed)
- Cocamidopropyl betaine (Coco-betaine), a foaming agent often used in ‘natural’ products which sounds like it is derived from coconut but is also derived from ‘dimethylaminopropylamine’ and isn’t completely plant-based. Potentially impacting non-renewable palm plantations. Has been claimed to be an allergen
- Fragrance, which reflects a blend of ingredients and can mean synthetics or nasties are hidden – a labelling loophole – and known to causes headaches, rashes, respiratory problems and other reactions
- METHYL CHLORO ISOTHIAZOLINONE AND METHYL ISOTHIAZOLINONE, which are controversial preservatives
- Phenoxyethanol. Controversial widely used preservative, toxic to infants
- Paraben - based preservatives. Widely used, found in breast cancers, blamed for early puberty in girls
- PEG 150 thickening agent, a US Environmental Working Group hazard, not recommended for use on broken skin and potentially causes kidney toxicity
- TEA (Triethonalomine) and DEA (Diethonalomine) a surfactant that potentially causes skins reactions
- Triclosan, linked to a long list of health issues
- Animal ingredients
Content and photo courtesy of BONDI WASH